Have you heard about Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms?
We all sometimes experience odd physical symptoms. Feeling ‘a bit out of-sorts’.
What I mean by this is, we don’t particularly feel ill but just feel odd, or out of balance.
This is not meant to be a medical post especially as I am not a doctor!
However, as a Holistic healer I do encourage people to take responsibility for their own health and try self-help measures.
There can be reasons other than what we first think, as to why we are not feeling our best, that can be solved by exploring and taking really simple measures.
We may be feeling ;
- Generally unwell
- Have nondescript aches and pains
- Suffering severe Pain
- Just feeling disconnected
- Anxiety and depression
Of course your first port of call if you’re not familiar with self-healing would be your doctor to ensure that there is nothing seriously amiss.
However, there’s an increasing modern trend of people suffering with undiagnosed physical symptoms. In the medical profession the term used is MUPS – Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms.
Medically unexplained physical symptoms (Mups) are one of the most common problems in modern medical practice, accounting for somewhere between 15% and 30% of primary care patients.
More information here
All available investigative tests and procedures are exhausted yet no conclusive diagnosis is made but the patient still receives treatment for the symptoms!
“Without a diagnosis, I can’t be sure I’m getting the right treatment?….”
Possible Causes of Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms
Physical symptoms can arise from environmental factors such as where we live, the things we ingest into our bodies – food, drugs and other pollutants, mental state of mind; or even injury.
However, there can also be metaphysical reasons why physical symptoms occur that have nothing to do with any of the above. Anyone suffering with Mups, may wish to consider the following things that may be contributing to or even causing their physical symptoms.
Natural Ways to Treat Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms
You might need to try one or all of the following;Earthing
Reset Your Circadian Rhythm
In our modern world we have become increasingly disconnected from the Earth, even our language refers to Earth as ‘dirt’, something to be avoided at all costs and certainly no place for children to play in anymore.
Our farming methods have become mechanical, we rarely walk but commute in vehicles; Some of us live and work in high-rise buildings
Moreover, we’re increasingly surrounded by a plethora of electrical items and gadgets – totally divorced from ‘Mother Earth!’
The Earth has a natural form of electricity, you’ve probably heard of the need to ‘earth’ electrical items.
Well similarly our bodies possess a type of electrical current that is responsible for electrical impulses in our bodies including the brain, heartbeat and neurotransmitter activity.
This internal electric also needs to be earthed or grounded with the Earth’s current.
Mounting evidence suggests that the Earth’s negative potential can create a stable internal bioelectrical environment for the normal functioning of all body systems. Moreover, oscillations of the intensity of the Earth’s potential may be important for setting the biological clocks regulating diurnal body rhythms, such as cortisol secretion.
More information here
We’ve all experienced static electricity, that sharp shock we get sometimes when we touch a metallic object.
This build up of positive energy charge known as static electricity is prevalent in and around us and slows down physical processes which results in excess free radicals, positively charged ions.
Which in turn, cause oxidative stress and the degenerative process known as ageing.
What is Earthing and How do we do it?
It’s simple, anyone can do it.
- Contact between the bare feet especially the points at the ball of the foot with the ground. Either on earth, grass, sand at the beach, unpainted concrete, or cobbled stones. Your skin works as the conductor.
- Sitting, working, or sleeping outdoors connected to conductive systems – anything that does not block the electrical flow.
- Shoes with synthetic and soles such as trainers block this energy, so be mindful of the shoes you wear.
Once thought to be the ravings of hippies and ‘odd balls’. Science now supports and encourages earthing and have declared that walking bare foot is indeed good for you!
Earthing is brilliant for Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms!
According to our natural intuition and extensive scientific research. Earthing reduces the electromagnetic pollution that surrounds us and interferes with our own natural electrical currents.
The Journal of Environmental and Public Health has stated that earthing
- Reduces inflammation
- Improve circulation
- Boosts energy levels
- Reduces stress
- Promotes better sleeping
- Reduces Pain
- Vitamin ‘G’ – just as we all need vitamin D in sunshine Holistic Therapists and Scientists alike are saying we all need Vitamin G as in ‘grounding’.
Of course you don’t have to walk around bare foot all the time but it doesn’t hurt to re-connect with the Earth from time to time. In fact it can do you the earth of good!
2. Reset your Circadian Rhythm
Your Circadian Rhythm is basically your body’s internal clock that affects physical mental, hormonal and behavioural changes in a daily cycle. Humans, animals, plants and tiny microbes have them.
They are governed by dark and light as represented in day and night and affect sleeping and waking cycles, hormone release, eating and digestion, body temperature and other bodily functions.
When the brain and the body are out of sync things like, Jet lag and working night shifts disturbs this rhythm and it falls out of balance.
As a result people can suffer Insomnia, time confusion, memory problems, depression and other conditions related to disturbed sleeping patterns.
Some we know of but other physical, mental and emotional symptoms that have no specific cause can also be attributed to the circadian rhythm being upset.
The body heals and regenerates when we sleep, so if this disturbed for whatever reason it is detrimental to our well-being.
How Can We Fix it?
This one is really easy to fix. You can either start walking barefoot as outlined above but even the scientists agree that camping for a week outdoors is the best medicine.
Inside Science has said
“Electric Light Bulbs Toy With Our Internal Clocks,”
More information here
They concluded that a week’s camping subjected to natural lighting resets our body clock including our melatonin levels, the hormone that causes sleep.
The benefits of this reset are huge because lack of sleep can have such a huge impact on our lives and well-being.
We should all include camping in our lives, get out of our homes and reconnect with nature. Make your next short break a camping or glamping trip!
3. Spiritual Grounding
Not to be confused with Earthing because the term Grounding is sometimes used interchangeably with Earthing.
Spiritual Grounding is completely different, it connects you energetically with the earth’s core energy – not its surface energy as in earthing.
It forms part of spiritual metaphysical practice. Your body is used as a conductor to draw up the earth’s core energy and anchor your spiritual energy.
People opening up spiritually and engaging in metaphysical exercises should ground themselves regularly particularly in the early stages of development. This will ensure that you stay in the present.
We’ve all heard the terms ‘away with the fairies’ or ‘head in the clouds.’
When someone is spiritually ungrounded they may experience symptoms or display certain behaviour including but not limited to;
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory problems
- Feeling drained or lethargic
- Daydreaming all the time
- Confusing physical symptoms with Ascension*
- Spaced out or light-headed even dizzy
- Having uncontrolled Out of Body Experiences (OBE)
- Losing track of conversation
- Feeling ‘Super Spiritual’
- Anxiousness and restlessness
* There’s a growing trend for people to associate physical symptoms with that of symptoms of ascension to a higher spiritual level.
Yes, people do feel different as the release the baggage of their lower selves fall away.
But not to the extent where it makes them feel unwell! If that is occurring then the process is being forced!
Spiritual Ascension is a natural process that causes very little if any physical discomfort, on the contrary the Spiritually Ascended have remarkably good health and age extraordinarily well.
Peri-menopausal and menopausal women sometimes confuse hot flushes, sleepless nights, depression, weight gain and a whole range of what we have come to associate with the menopause as ‘symptoms of ascension’.
In truth a lot of these symptoms are purely physical and can be addressed with dietary improvements such as – cutting out caffeine, sugar, alcohol; and introducing more whole foods and fresh vegetables into the diet. As well as engaging in some form of cardio exercise.
Men who also make claims to these symptoms should also consider the above as possible causes of their health issues before attributing their symptoms to spiritual ascension.
How do we do it?
It’s very simple and should form part of spiritual development routine although anyone can benefit from grounding. You can try any one from the following;
- Sit on the ground cross-legged and visualize roots growing wide and extending deep down connecting you to the earth.
- Focus on your Soul Star chakra and anchor it to the centre of the earth. Your Soul Star chakra anchors all of your earth chakras
- Stand up and visualize roots growing out of the soles of your feet and again growing down and connecting with the Earth, extending wide, deep strong roots.
- Do something physical like housework or gardening, give meditation a rest. There is something called too much of a good thing. Moderation is the key!
- Go for a run feel your feet slapping the ground!
- Use or wear a grounding crystal – black tourmaline, smoky quartz, brecciated or red jasper, black onyx, hematite, bloodstone…. whichever one resonates with you the most.
- You will feel balanced
- Some people even find their symptoms resolve or improve
- Your spiritual development will be authentic and less delusional
- You will not only have your head in the clouds but your feet also firmly on the ground in the present world. So much so, you will be able to function better when your spirit, mind, emotions and body are in alignment and you control the switch!
Can you relate to this article, do you or anyone you know, experience any of these issues, if so how were they resolved.
Enjoy Tree of life’s Guided Meditation for grounding. Set to beautiful binaural beats.The sounds of nature are really captivating.